12.12.2012

For Sophie

and Elizabeth over at a moon, worn as if it had been a shell
This virtual ornament is the idea that inspired virtual ornaments. I was at the American Epilepsy Society meeting last week and came across this ornament which I knew I had to have. I was originally going to send it to Elizabeth and Sophie but then realized that they live with epilepsy EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. and thus really don't need an ornament to remind them... but I do love me some purple and so why couldn't I have the ornament for my tree? And so I donated some money and took it home... where it now resides.

As you may know I am applying for residency in Child Neurology and a large portion of my future patients will have epilepsy. This is no cure. There are medications and diets and surgeries that sometimes work, for some patients and there there are those like Sophie who are somehow above any treatments the medical world throws their way. My heart breaks, it does. I don't know if we will ever have the ever-elusive "cure" as there are so many reasons for and varieties of epilepsy but I do know that part of my career will be interacting with the families affected. Elizabeth and other bloggers have opened my eyes to the lives that are lived beyond the walls of the hospital or medical clinic. The world of IEPs and wheelchairs and affected marriages but most of all the world of love that they (Sophie,  Calvin, Max, Pearlsky) create as part of being. The compassionate siblings and more patient parents. The better world. And so to Sophie and Elizabeth I dedicate this ornament. One for my tree, one for theirs....


3 comments:

  1. I'm overwhelmed -- by you. Thank you, dear Spice Island Queen. I just know that great, great things are in your future, not just because you've taken the time to think of us but because of your larger vision which has already touched many, many lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world is not ugly and the people are not sad indeed....

      Delete
  2. Also, would you mind emailing me? I have some exciting news to share with you. My email is elsophie AT gmail DOT com.

    ReplyDelete