3.15.2013

Happy Residency Fate Day aka Match Day 2013!

I'm matched!

And if you have matched too, congratulations!

If you are looking for the SGU Match List then look no further. Of course it is a work in progress but it is being updated so keep refreshing. For those that matched things look good! Congrats on all of your hard work and the fruition of your labor. Enjoy today, you deserve it!

For those that did not and were unsuccessful in SOAP my sincere and heartfelt sympathies to you. It is not fair or right that you should finish four years of medical school and not match into residency, it angers me that SGU cannot do more to help its students and that it is expected that a certain number will not match and that this is "okay". It is not and I am sorry! Please know that I do care and realize that it could have been me... Keep the faith and fix what needs to be fixed, next year you will be successful.

As for me, it is official, we will be moving to Texas as I have matched in one of my top choices at UT Houston in Child Neurology. I am very excited and feel that this program has many strengths and will be a good fit for me! I am a little hesitant to move to TX and am not sure what I think of Houston but we are doing this. That being said, I'm accepting any and all advise on where to live, dog parks to visit, how to make the most out of Houston, etc. We may need to adjust to the humidity and hot weather but I'm sure we will manage. What can you tell me about Houston dear reader?

I'm off to celebrate but just wanted to let everyone know, in case you don't have Facebook or access to me that way. Congrats again to all my classmates and thank you for your support and encouragement.

11 comments:

  1. So happy and proud to see you having achieved the dream! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll continue to blog as a PGY1 so we can see what the life of a resident is like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and i am proud of you. even if they did not turn out as you had hoped. thanks for your unwavering support in what i know is a difficult time for you. i do plan to continue blogging but think i may have to rename my blog and/or start over. sgu is behind me and i'm no longer on spice island, ya know? ;)

      Delete
  2. !!!!! This is absolutely amazing news! I'm soooo happy you matched and are moving to HOUSTON! I'm actually from Houston and can give you lots of information about it. My friend just matched for Anesthesiology at UTH and I'm actually hoping to be interning there this summer! Feel free to email me at piklblog@gmail.com if you need any info! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much, for reading and for commenting! i will email you as i would love to hear your thoughts on where to live, etc.

      Delete
  3. Congrats! So happy for you and can't wait to hear how your next chapter goes. I am always pleasantly surprised at how friendly Texans are... I hope that's a perk for you. Sending lots of happiness your way, my friend!
    T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T, I am more excited than anything. So very happy. We plan to get a house so if you ever want to come to Houston you'll have somewhere to stay....

      Delete
  4. Hello, I just started reading your blog...I am actually applying to SGU..looks like you had an awesome experience. Congrats on matching :-). Do you think being an IMG may have hindered some from matching?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nika. Thanks for reading/commenting. Yes, I do think being an IMG may have hindered some and will continue to do so especially as the US Medical schools expand their class sizes and new US Medical schools start graduating applicants into the residency pool. I did have an awesome experience and am totally happy with SGU. However I think that the tide may be turning and it is only with wide open eyes that you or anyone should contemplate becoming an IMG...

      Delete