10.08.2010

Pumpkin Inspired

So one of the things that sucks is not so nice about being in medical school far far away is missing occasions and celebrations. And I am not normally one for self-pity but I've been a little homesick this week. My cousin is getting married this weekend and most of my extended family is going to be there. My mom is one of 11 so between all of her siblings and their children that means a lot of family. And it is in Colorado so not only am I missing a beautiful wedding, I'm missing a fall wedding. I love fall and it pains me to be stuck in sunny hot summer weather for the foreseeable future... no fall for me.

But to lift my depression I have pumpkin! A friend was stateside earlier this week and she was amazing enough to find and bring back a Pumpkin Brulee scented candle for me, so at least my room smells like fall! Also I bought fresh pumpkin at the grocery store which inspired me to bake a simple and healthy pumpkin bread. (To turn the muffins into a sweet afternoon treat I added a not so healthy glaze and cranberries.)


 Pumpkin Bread/ Muffins with Cream cheese glaze and cranberries

For the Bread/Muffins you will need:

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. sea salt
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. nutmeg
3/4 cup applesauce
4 eggs
1/2 cup butter, melted

Mix dry ingredients.  In separate bowl mix wet ingredients and the sugar. Combine and stir well.  Pour into a buttered/floured pans.  Bake for 45-55 minutes at 350 degrees, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean. (For muffins bake 25 minutes at 400 degrees.)

Makes 2 small loaves or 1 medium loaf and 6 muffins or 24 muffins.

For the cream cheese glaze
Blend together
8 oz. of cream cheese
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 t vanilla
1/4 cup milk

Garnish with cranberries, enjoy!


Recipe adapted from several others including these-
http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/healthy-treat-for-today-applesauce-bread
http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/670650-Applesauce-Pumpkin-Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment